Saturday, June 8, 2019

2019 ALC Day 7 Ventura to Los Angeles

And on the final Seventh Day - Ventura to Los Angeles

Awake at 4:00 a.m. and excited to get to Los Angeles so I could cross the finish line and see John. This was his first time to be in Los Angeles for AIDS/LifeCycle ride-in.

I can’t believe we’re at the final day, but at the same time, I was ready to give my body a break from long-distance cycling. I thank, Deyon, so much for helping me with my first princessing experience. That’s staying at hotels vs. camping. She took me under her wing for the entire week. Since I had injured my back last year, I decided being a princess would be better for me physically. Did you see how much fresher and lively Alysse was throughout the day even though she hurt MY feet? I may have already shared with you that she hurt MY feet, but I’m glad she got to experience another Red Dress Day even though she hurt My feet.

Today, many were sad the 7 days were already coming to an end. The love bubble is real and palpable. I met Pepper who is a 24-year rider. He started riding when he learned that his brother was living with HIV. Pepper promised his brother that he would ride as long as he could and the fight to end HIV/AIDS continued. His brother died 11 years ago. When he shares his story, he gives red beads with a pepper and says, “You just got peppered!” I believe his way of making the situation upbeat.

Eat quick. Get out to bike parking for the 6:00am route opening. When I got to my bike, I noticed that the Chicken Lady (a.k.a Ken) left her love on every Rider's seat. She did have help from what I call Chickadees. The Chicken Lady always sprinkles so much wonderfulness throughout the ride. Each egg had a treat and words of wisdom.

It’s all a blur and frenzied for those who want to be out on the road quickly. I share with you the words of wisdom of Tracy Evans, ALC Ride Director, “Calm the F - - - (all caps, mind you) down!”

It’s a ride, not a race, but riding in the front of the pack is nice (remember splash of blue water). I rode most of the morning with Deyon and met Justin at the lunch stop, Will Rogers State Beach, which is almost 25 miles after RS2.

I was quite surprised to cycle along Pacific Coast Highway with very little traffic, which made seeing the waves, the scenery, and the surfers all the more enjoyable.

Justin and I were ready to cycle to Los Angeles for the finish at Fairfax High School. The ride from the coast to Santa Monica Boulevard is fantastic and then we deal with L.A. traffic. But with the help of local police, they did direct traffic in some spots.

Since L.A. Pride is happening this weekend, we had the chance to feel more love while cycling through West Hollywood before the finish line at Fairfax High School.

RIDE SAFE. BE SAFE.

For my sixth AIDS/LifeCycle, thank you to family and friends who have helped each year to make a difference in helping end HIV/AIDS.

All-in-all another wonderful, contemplative seven-day journey filled with laughter, joy, tears and friendships.

When I rode into West Hollywood amidst the cheering, the tears started flowing …

tears of joy
tears of accomplishment
tears of loss
tears of a wonderful future

While I finish this last entry for AIDS/LifeCycle 2019, for my family and friends who have lost a loved one to HIV/AIDS, I dedicate the past 7 days in memory of ...

Ray Bitanga
Donald Brown
Cesar Casado
Bruce Christensen
Kevin Cortez
Bert Estillo
Skyler Foxx
Emili Galeazzi
Gary Geibel
Whoa Gerry
Dennis Gould
Carl Greene
Carl Greene
Ramon Hodel
Larry Hunter
Toshi Irizawa
Doug Kimball
Matthew Langley
Robert Mashburn
Michael Messerschmitt
Robert Mitchell
Patrick O’Malley
Sonny Padilla
Ed Peterson
Bobby Purcell
Reynaldo Ramirez
Alex Reyes
Daniel Roberts
Mike Sieczkarek
Johnny Simon
Douglas Yaranon
Tony Yuen



#aidslifecycle #PositivePedalers #EndingStigma will #RideLoveLive until HIV/AIDS is a thing of the past #givingbacktothecommunity #cyclinglife #volunteer #sanfranciscoaidsfoundation #losangeleslgbtcenter

No comments:

Post a Comment